MANILA, Philippines — Philippine navy officials said Monday a suspected American drone has been found floating in the ocean off a central province, prompting them to deploy a ship with ordnance experts after fishermen reported the object may have been a bomb.
The 10-foot orange BQM-74e drone, marked “Navy,” was found by a Filipino diver and fishermen off Masbate Island on Sunday and has been turned over to local navy authorities, Philippine navy officer Capt. Jason Rommel Galang said, adding it was not clear why the unmanned aerial vehicle ended up off Masbate.
U.S. Embassy spokeswoman Bettina Malone said efforts were under way to determine if the drone was one of those used in American military air target training exercises and why it was in the waters off Masbate, about 235 miles southeast of Manila. The type of drone found was not armed and not used for surveillance, she said.
Masbate is in a region where communist guerrillas have a presence. U.S. counterterrorism troops, who are barred from local combat, have used surveillance drones to help Filipino soldiers track down al-Qaida-linked extremists in the country’s south. At least two U.S. drones have been reported to have crashed and were recovered by villagers in the past on southern Mindanao Island.
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Cookies March 7, 2014Hello my joyous reader, I was totally yearning for some comfort food one Sunday afternoon when it was chilly willy and the snow was blowing....Joy McCarthy
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Cookies March 7, 2014
- British throne ascended by Anne: 8 March 1702 - This Day in HistoryOn this day in 1702, Anne became the last Stuart monarch of Great Britain, having earlier acquiesced to the Act of Settlement of 1701, which designated as her successors the Hanoverian descendants of King James I.More Events on this day:1971: American boxer Joe Frazier retained his world heavyweight championship by winning a 15-round decision over former cha […]
- British throne ascended by Anne: 8 March 1702 - This Day in History
- Stock Up! Your Favorite Foods Are Being Ruined By Climate ChangeNot content with killing polar bears, threatening koalas, and destroying our national parks, rising temperatures are now posed to eliminate several of our most beloved foods by 2050, from beer and wine to peanut butter and chocolate.
- Stock Up! Your Favorite Foods Are Being Ruined By Climate Change
- Health benefits of Buckwheat. February 28, 2014Hello all, I would like to introduce to a super food which is not on the hit list yet among the Indian population but familiar in other countries. Health benefits of Buckwheat are numerous and are proved by researches that have taken place to prove its good will. It does not belong to wheat family […]Neha Kava
- Health benefits of Buckwheat. February 28, 2014
- Birch extract speeds wound healing March 6, 2014German scientists have furthered our understanding of how birch extract helps to heal wounds at the molecular levelNYR Natural News
- Birch extract speeds wound healing March 6, 2014